When picking a tennis racket for your constant use, it is important to look at the quality of strings used. You do not want to pick one that will wear out after a few games, or one that will give you a hard time interacting with the ball. Put into consideration the string tension and string pattern, so that the racket serves its intended purpose.
Rackets are made using many different string types. Some strings are made using a combination of high quality material and innovative technology. Others are made with basic material such as nylon.
A good racquet is likely put together by an equally good stringing machine. A lot, such as quality of stringing material, gauge (thickness of string), texture and tension, is taken into account. The good news is that you can string your own racket from the comfort of your home. This article reviews some of the best stringing machines in the market, together with things you need to look out for when buying one.
Table for the Best Tennis Racket Stringing Machines
Call to action
Gamma X-2 Tennis Stringing Machine
2 - point
Klippermate Tennis Racquet Stringing Machine
2 - point
Drop weight tensioning
Alpha Ghost 2 Electronic Stringing Machine
2 - point
Gamma Progression II 602 Stringer
6 - point
Drop weight tensioning
Gamma X-6 Stringing Machine
6 - point
Drop weight tensioning
Bestselling Tennis Racket Stringing Machines on Amazon:
The Best Tennis Racket Stringing Machines
The Gamma X-2 stringer is an ideal machine that uses electric tensioning for fast and efficient stringing.
- It has a 2-point mounting system
- It uses electric tensioning
- It has a digital panel for control
- It comes with a set of tools
Working with this machine will be something of a breeze. Adjusting the tension of the string is easy since the Gamma X-2 has a control panel that is digital. You can set the weight to read the weight in kg or lbs. It has 9 memory settings that you can use as you work.
The display panel also shows the pulling speed, pre-stretch and knot function. It also conducts internal diagnostic checks. This machine has a tension range of 9 to 90 lb, which is a convenient range for working at home.
It is constructed using steel and aluminum, making it quite sturdy. It also comes with tools such as hex wrench set, straight pliers, pathfinder awl and straight awl. They can be easily stores in the machine’s tool tray.
- Strong build for durability
- It has a control panel that helps in operation
- The display panel that shows tension in lb or kg
- It is a bit heavy owing to the material used to build it
The Gamma X-2 stringer is a good machine for stringing your rackets. The ability to control it on a panel will make it easy for you to use. However, it would not be ideal to use in a shop setting.
This racket stringer boasts ease of use. It comes with a well detailed manual that guides you through the stringing process for precise results,
- It has a 2 – point mounting system
- It uses drop weight tensioning mechanism
- It comes with tools
- It comes with a set of strings for your practice
For a beginner, this stringing machine is likely the most ideal. Its manual has detail on how to use it and the good thing is that it does not need assembling. You will need to find a flat surface on which to mount it since it can only be used hen on a tabletop. However, if you prefer to use it on a stand, you can purchase one separately.
To enable you to practice efficiently, you will be provided with a set of strings. The machine also comes with tools such as pliers, awls and a set of two floating clamps. This machine is also light, making it easy to move and put away after use.
- You do not need to assemble it
- It comes with a set of strings to practice with
- It is light for portability
- It has a detailed instruction manual
- It comes with a set of tools
- It is considerably slower than other stringing machines, and you might take a few hours to string a racket
If you are a beginner that is looking for practice and guidance on how to properly string a racket, the Klippermate Tennis Racquet Stringing machine will be an ideal tool for you. It is not just easy to use, it is also portable and comes with free strings on which to practice.
This racket stringer boasts an innovative brakes system and an adjustable 6 – point mount.
- It comes with a stand whose height can be adjusted
- It has a computerized control system
- Comes with a linear gripper
- Input for multiple string types
- Has one main tool tray and two more in the mounting table
- It has two brake modes; auto and manual
- 6 – point adjustable and self-centering mounting system
The Alpha Ghost 2 Electronic Stringing Machine packs quite a number of features that make it an ideal accessory for heavy use. It has properly laid out keypad on its control panel that makes it easy to change or adjust tension levels as you desire. The 6-point mounting system that is adjustable and self-centering ability makes this machine efficient in the stringing process and ensures top quality work.
This machine is quite easy to use, and it is fast. It also comes with a stand on which to mount and its height it adjustable. It has a sturdy build that will give it good durability. The machine also comes with stringing tools.
- It is fast and easy to use
- It has an adjustable stand
- It has a keypad for easy tension adjustment
- 6 – point mounting system for a good hold
- It is sturdy
- This stringing machine is very expensive
The Alpha Ghost 2 Electronic Stringing machine is an ideal tool for persons that are looking to work fast in stringing their rackets. While it is a good machine for efficiency, it may not be suitable for a home setting.
This machine is widely preferred for its speed and stability. It has a 6 – point mounting system to hold the racket in place during stringing.
- It has clamps that are diamond coated for durability
- It has a weight scale which is engraved
- It has a knob that allows it to self-lock
- Has a 360-degree turntable system for its clamps
The Gamma Progression II 602 Fc is a favorite of many users. It is mainly preferred for its excellent clamping system, which allows for great precision when stringing. It uses a drop weight tension mechanism with a wide range of 8lb to 90lb.
Although it has a lightweight, it has a sturdy build that will ensure its longevity. You will enjoy using it from home since you do not have to mount it to anything and it works fast.
The base has a tool tray and a set of stringing tools is included. The machine also comes with a set of 3 free strings for you to practice on.
- It has a sturdy and reliable clamping system
- It is light and easy to move
- Clamps are diamond encrusted for longevity
- It comes with free strings with which to practice
- You may have to re-calibrate the tension from time to time
The Gamma Progression II 602 Stringing Machine is an ideal tool for stringing your rackets from home. It is light but sturdy and has a reliable clamping system for holding your racket in place. It is also fast.
This machine has a 6 – point mounting system and diamond coated clamps for a good hold and longevity.
- It has a 6-point mounting system
- Its clamps are diamond coated
- It uses the drop weight mechanism with a tension range of 9-90lb
- It has a turntable that rotates 360 degrees
- It comes with stringing tools
Just like the Gamma Progression II 602, the Gamma X-6 has an excellent mounting system with sturdy clamps that are diamond coated. It features a turntable that can rotate 360 degrees.
It uses a drop weight mechanism that has a tension range of 9-90 pounds, which is quite wide. It also comes with a set of tools such as hex wrenches, pathfinder awl, straight awl and straight pliers.
This machine is quite fast. Built with lightweight aluminum, it is sturdy and easy to carry around.
- It has an excellent mounting system
- Its clamps are diamond coated for durability
- It is light
- It has a sturdy build
- It works fast
- It is quite affordable
- Some people have found the manual difficult to use
You are going to have an easy experience stringing your rackets using this machine. Its lightweight will enable you to carry it, and its sturdy build will ensure it stays in good shape for a long time. It works fast and is affordable, making it ideal to use at home.
What to look for when buying a stringing machine?
- Tension Mechanism – There are three different mechanisms for stringing machines. Manual tensioning, electric tensioning and drop weight tensioning. Make your choice depending on how easy you find each system.
- Portability – A stringing machine can either be a table-top stringer or a standalone stringer. A table-top stringing machine is usually light and all you have to do is put it on a flat surface. A standalone machine needs to be mounted on a stand.
- Mounting system – There are three different mounting systems in stringing machines. There are 2-point, 4-point and 6-point mounting systems. These points are the areas at which the racket is held in place. A stringing machine that has more mounting points makes for more support during stringing.
- Clamps – The clamps are responsible for holding the tennis racket in place. There are two types of clamping systems; fixed and floating. Floating clamps are not connected to the machine, and they work by holding the tension of a string using another. A fixed clamp is usually attached to the machine. Some clamps can swivel on a bar system and make a 360-degree rotation while some cannot.
If you are a tennis player that is on the court for practice a good number of times in a week, it is quite likely that stringing your rackets is an exercise you undertake every so often. This makes buying a racket stringing machine a necessary endeavor to avoid the hustle of going to the shop every now and then.
Finding the right stringing machine is important for you. It will save you a great deal of time, and your pockets will be happier for it. If you are a beginner, pick a stringing machine that will guide you through your practice so that you can learn conveniently. A seasoned player will have to pick a fast and sturdy machine that is easy to use.
The market has quite a number of brands that offer quality and speed, and choosing one from the myriad can prove to be a daunting task. The above guide will help you look at different machines with different capabilities so you can be able to pick an affordable one for your personal needs.
Last update on 2021-05-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API